9/03/2012

Bolek Blog Series - Fans of Out of Market NFL Teams: NY Giants


As many of you have seen through my whored out Facebook statuses, I am profiling people who live in the Chicago area and are fans of out of town teams.

Thank you to everyone who has filled out a survey so far. If you're a fan of an out-of-town team and I haven't given you a questionnaire to fill out, please let me know ASAP, as I am looking to profile as many people as possible.

My ninth (and possibly final) feature highlights a very humble New York Giants fan. Russ Williamson has been a Chicagoan since 2005. Before that, he grew up in New Jersey, where he became a big Giants fan (no, I'm not going for a triple entendre there, although perhaps I am). An aside - If you happen to be going to the city sometime soon, I recommend checking out his comedy act - just look him up.

Here's a list of other blogs in the out-of-town feature series:

1. Dallas Cowboys
2. Tennessee Titans
3. New Orleans Saints 
4. Minnesota Vikings
5. Denver Broncos



Russ Williamson may be a man who makes a living off of making people laugh, but he is dead serious about his allegiance to the New York Giants.

A man who makes people laugh, Russ was not amused at B-Bo Knows NYG prediction
He was dumbfounded by B-Bo Knows prediction of the Giants missing the playoffs with a 7-9 record, a year after winning their second Super Bowl against the Patriots in the past five years.

"I didn't really like your prediction," Russ told me. "I don't know where you got that from."

Russ's fandom began around 1990, when the underdog Giants, missing their Hall of Fame QB Phil Simms, upset the Buffalo Bills (the first of four straight Super Bowl losses for the Bills). The game is remembered for the Scott Norwood missed kick as time expired that would have put the Bills ahead.

Russ remembers it for a similar reason, but on a more personal level.

"My dad is a huge Giants fan," he said, "and my earliest memory was how happy he was when the Bills missed that field goal and the Giants were champs."

He doesn't have any issues following the Giants, relying on the Internet to keep him up-to-date on team news and scores. He also has no problem with being a fan of the Giants in a Bears town, unless his team happens to be the opponent.

"When your team plays the Bears, you will be called a (gay slur) at some point (by a Bears fan)," Russ said.

"I don't have a problem with the Bears," he said, "but if they're playing the Giants, I want them to fail miserably."

Being the humble person he is, Russ didn't want to make any predictions about the Giants for the 2012 season.

Ok, I lied.

"I'll be the first to say it here," Russ said, "the Giants repeat."

His thoughts about Eli being immortalized at Canton after winning his second ring - just as indifferent.

"Eli is a Hall of Famer, no doubt," he said.


Russ Williamson
(Chicagoan since 2005)
Favorite team Giants
A fan since… 1990 (Giants/Bills in Super Bowl)
# of games attended 1 at MetLife
Choice of Team Consumption TV/Internet
Favorite Player All-Time Lawrence Taylor
Favorite Player Currently Jason Pierre-Paul
2012 Prediction Super Bowl champs
Vegas Win Projection
(as of 9-3-12) 5dimes.eu 9 wins
Over/under? Over
Odds to win division - 5dimes.eu (+205)
Super Bowl odds 45/2  (+2250)
(as of 9-3-12) - bovada.lv

No comments:

Post a Comment