9/03/2012

Bolek Blog Series - Fans of Out of Market NFL Teams: New England


As many of you have seen through my whored out Facebook statuses, I am profiling people who live in the Chicago area and are fans of out of town teams.

Thank you to everyone who has filled out a survey so far. If you're a fan of an out-of-town team and I haven't given you a questionnaire to fill out, please let me know ASAP, as I am looking to profile as many people as possible.

My eighth feature will highlight a New England Patriots fan. Adam Stefko became a fan of this team because of his dad's allegiance when he was a kid, not because of their Super Bowl run in the 2000s (which many people may suspect).

Here's a list of other blogs in the out-of-town feature series:

1. Dallas Cowboys
2. Tennessee Titans
3. New Orleans Saints 
4. Minnesota Vikings 
5. Denver Broncos


Don't mistake Adam Stefko for a fair-weathered New England Patriots fan. He didn't become a fan of the team when their run of success began in the early part of this century.

"I became a fan of the team the same way I'm a fan of any team," he said. "My dad liked them so I automatically just followed suit. Of course, I can think for myself now, but they happen to be a good team, so why not keep the loyalty?"

While he doesn't mind the Bears, Adam doesn't go out of his way to root for them.

"I would say I typically kind of root for them," he said, "but I often end up reaffirming the reason I don't like them as much as the Patriots."

He hasn't had any issues with following the Patriots in his life, including his last couple years living in the suburbs of Chicago. He doesn't get too much of a hard time about the Patriots since most people end up agreeing that they are a good team.

Lately, his main consumption of New England football is the Red Zone channel, which he thinks he prefers over having NFL Sunday Ticket.

"It's not the easiest following the Patriots when all you hear on the news is the Bears, but I do alright on Sundays," Adam said.

I couldn't find many others of him on FB w/ Pats gear. Hence, the look.
He's never been to a New England game, even though he had a chance to go to Soldier Field in 2010 when the Patriots routed the Bears 36-7. He ended up passing on the chance to go due to the high ticket prices, but he didn't mind missing out on the extreme weather conditions.

"It was a ridiculously cold day, so I think my body thanks me for not going," he said.

Adam believes that B-Bo Knows predictions of the team are accurate, but hopes they go a little further than the prediction of a loss to the Texans in the playoffs.

"Obviously, I hope that they do even better and win the AFC Championship and the Super Bowl," he said. "But who knows. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. I'd be alright with that."

Despite consistently being one of the best teams in the league over the past decade, the Patriots haven't won a Super Bowl since the 2004 season.

Nevertheless, Adam doesn't think that Bill Belichick & Tom Brady have anything to prove to maintain or enhance their legacy as the elite coach/QB combo.

"Even without that recent of a Super Bowl win, they have proven throughout the regular season and postseason that they've got a great system and still perform rather well," he said.



   
  Adam Stefko
  (few years in suburbs of Chicago)
Favorite team Patriots
   
A fan since… childhood
   
# of games attended none
   
Choice of Team Consumption Red Zone Channel
   
Favorite Player(s) All-Time Tedi Bruschi
   
Favorite Player Currently Aaron Hernandez
   
   
2012 Prediction (14-2, Super Bowl Champs)
   
Vegas Win Projection 12
(as of 9-3-12) 5dimes.eu  
Over/under? Over
   
Odds to win division - 5dimes.eu (-360) (bet 360 to win 100)
   
Super Bowl odds 23/4 (+575) co-favorites w/ GB
(as of 9-3-12) - 5dimes.eu  

No comments:

Post a Comment