5/19/2011

The True Best Man

(note: to those attending the wedding, this is not my speech)

It's a title that I never really thought about much, but the title "Best Man" carries a lot of weight to me.

Best Man is someone who you've known for a long while. Best Man is someone you have shared some great times with. Best Man is someone you can count on when you're down. Best Man is with you from beginning to end. Best Man is with you during your ups and downs, highs and lows.

Best Man is not a title to be taken lightly.

Less than 2 days from now, my friend Jeremy Spencer (known by his surname to many of us) will be getting hitched to his lady Kate Baker. It's only fitting that it's a non-traditional wedding, because Spencer has never been a traditional person.

Each of us has influenced the other in more ways than we can imagine. For a brief period of time, I tried emulating his fashion for Hawaiian shirts (biiiiiiig mistake). And I know I introduced him to a movie (Dirty Work) that has become the staple of a lifetime's worth of quotes for us.

Within this lifetime of the friendship, we've both went away to school, and for the majority of the past 9 years of the friendship, we haven't been within 100 miles of each other. However, that never stopped us from getting closer as friends and essentially becoming brothers.

The "That's What She Said" and "Name Game" have become our new ways of humoring each other and others around us. The Name Game especially - with its unique way of creating a nickname around a play on words that yields many a laughs - has kept both of us sharp in both humor and intelligence.

As the years have passed, I can proudly say our friendship is stronger than ever. And I'm glad he's getting married to Kate, who clearly matches up with him perfectly.

Thank you to my friend, my brother, Spencer, for letting me share a big part in one of the biggest day of your life.

On Saturday, the true Best Man will be him.

Congrats to you and Kate.

No comments:

Post a Comment